Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2017

"Don't cling to me."

Jesus told her, "Don't hold on to me. I have not yet gone to the Father. But go to my brothers and sisters and tell them, 'I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"       John 20:17

God is love, so we can look for love in all the scriptures we read.  Love stopped to comfort an overwhelmed woman on a Sunday morning.  Love detoured from His bee-line back to the Father to comfort her and to give her a message and a purpose.  Love blew past the social mores of the day and sent out a woman as a witness.  Love dropped a gentle clue that the time for clinging to His human form was coming to a close and there was something so much better coming next.  The release of the Holy Spirit to come and live in us!  

We are so pathetically gentile and hardened and "churched" that we are not knocked off our feet when we hear the words, the Holy Spirit come to live in us.  "Oh what fellowship, Oh what peace is mine!"  

We should probably examine why we are so blase in the face of something that should by its very nature cause awe and wonder.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Just lately, I believe the Lord gave a little more insight into this. Mary had watched her beloved leave her once and she was not going to let go of Him this time, unless he commanded her to. He had to say, "Stop clinging to me." or else she would have "never" stopped clinging to Him. Such was her love. And Oh what a privilege we have now, in the Holy Spirit we can "cling to Him" every moment!