Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Habakkuk Is A Powerful Book

 The prophet Habakkuk is burdened.  A powerful, Gentile nation has surrounded and is about to conquer Judah.  This Gentile nation is not a nation chosen by God, they do not follow or worship the God of Israel.  It is becoming more and more clear to Habakkuk that Babylon is about to be used by God to severely chastise and discipline Israel.

He can't believe it.

He can't comprehend it.

How is this justice?  How long will it go on?

God replies, I am indeed using Babylon and their power to conquer is from me, they don't know it, but it is.

Habakkuk is even more perplexed.  Bablyon thinks they are conquering out of their own strength and they have no mercy, how in the world can You, the God of Israel be behind all this?

Chapter 2

Habakkuk says, basically what Peter says, "Well I don't have anywhere else to go for answers, so I will stay here and wait for your answer, before I say anything more, but, I do really want to say more, because none of this is making sense to me."

God replies, this isn't just your answer, this is an answer for the nation of Israel who will be running for their lives when the overwhelming scourge of Babylon comes through crushing and destroying.  They will need to know I had this written down beforehand.  They will need to know I am in control and there is still hope, even when it looks like there is absolutely, positively no hope.

God says clearly, I know exactly who Babylon is.  I know they are unjust, violent and evil, focused on this present age and trying to rise above calamity in their own strength.  Every bit of what they have planned and what they accomplish is temporary, but one day, Habakkuk, ONE DAY, this purified, chastised, disciplined, broken nation of Israel brought to the end of their strength will fulfill their high calling to fill the earth with the knowledge of God!  The discipline of the covenant is in perfect harmony with the high calling of the covenant!

Every idol will be brought down.  Every earthly king and kingdom will bow and pass away.  

I am on the throne.

Chapter 3

Habakkuk replies "Oh now I see the incredible, amazing call that is on the chosen people to be a blessing to all the nations of the earth, requires a deep breaking, so that everyone can clearly see Your glory."

You will return.

You will act with justice.

You will make all things right.  This gentile nation will one day be crushed.  By faith I see You doing it, even when I cannot see You doing it.  

By faith, I know You will be true to all Your promises and so when everything is screaming You are not faithful, I will zip my lip and trust You alone. 

No comments: