Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2018

Long Leash on a Powerful Spring

Some of my best lessons are learned while walking dog(s).

We have a puppy, I take him for walks and his leash is
fairly short, he has bitten it and chewed on it and spent the
vast majority of some walks, fighting against that leash.

My wife had mercy on him and tied a long rope to the leash
giving him more freedom, but he still got tugged on quite
frequently, just because he is a puppy and everything he
explores requires it be done at 110% of his top speed.
He has 4 legs but I have often seen him fall head over
heels as he somehow outruns his legs.

So on this walk, we came to a place where I could let the
old dog, off of his leash that is at least  a 10 foot spring
loaded, very nice contraption.  So now in a moment of
wisdom and mercy I added this 10 foot to the already
longer than he was used to leash, and that little puppy
forgot about the leash, he could run and rip and tear and
never be pulled back, the leash was still there but it was
long.

I usually go with "yes and yes" when asked about
free will and the sovereign predestination of God, just
because God is outside of time entirely so even the "pre"
in predestination proves we are too limited to discuss
the matter, but the puppy gave me a pretty satisfying conclusion

I don't really want total freedom.  (Sorry after 57 years on
this planet, free will no longer has the attraction for me that
it once did.)  What I want is a long leash, with a powerful
spring loaded component that is in the hands of infinite
Love and Mercy and Wisdom.

No comments: